Saturday, February 14, 2009

Diff

So it's 3:30 on Friday night and I just got back from a very cruise-y gay club in New York with some friends. I guess a lot has happened since the last time I posted.

So of course the first thing on my mind these days is coming out. I have started telling my New York friends. For the most part, they have been less surprised than my friends back home and my family, I guess because they see me on a more regular basis, and had noticed my dating dry spell these past few years. It's been pretty rough on my schedule, but I've been pretty much scheduling dinners and brunches with friends wherever I can fit them in.

The rest of my time has been spent exploring the New York gay scene. I have started hanging out with my only gay friend in the city, who has been an absolute godsend. Not only is he giving me valuable advice about dating and sex that I really wouldn't be hearing elsewhere, but he also came out at a late age, and he is very helpful as a sounding board for all the stuff I can't tell everyone else or I'm scared to ask. He also has started showing me around the gay bars and clubs in NYC which has been really fun, even though I've been pretty shy. I went to two bars today, the first was pretty tame, just a bunch of guys in a room, and some friendly banter and glances everywhere. The second was a dark, cruisey bar full of shirtless guys making out. To be honest, I thought it would be scary, but it was pretty exciting. At one point a guy reached down my pants, which I wasn't really ready for, but was also fun in it's own way. I don't know if I'm explaining it right, it wasn't really as seedy as it sounds, but I definitely could have gone home with someone from there if I wanted.

It's not what I'm looking for now, but it's nice to know it's there. Maybe in the future. For now I'm definitely looking for something a little more wholesome...

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you... are a diamond in the rough.

    Most gays by their late twenties have slept with the entire community (yes, a stereotype, but there's a lot of truth in it.) And turning 30 is like death. In fact, a friend of mine had a "funeral" on his 30th birthday where everyone did eulogies.

    I have a theory though, that you may want to have a little more fun before you really try to be serious. Date, fuck, make mistakes, hurt others, get hurt... experience all that.

    And you have 1 year. Go go go!!

    And blog! I already love this start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a lot of things i want to do before 30, too.

    good luck on everything. and congrats on all your progress.

    ReplyDelete