Saturday, January 8, 2011

Chinese Mothers, Aiyyaa

I keep re-reading this Wall Street Journal entitled "Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior" desperately searching for some trace of irony, but I can't seem to find it. The author brags about how she has raised her daughters in the Chinese tradition, and feels no qualms about calling her daughter "garbage" to her face, or saying (this is a direct quote!) "Hey fatty—lose some weight." She even apparently crows about her parenting style at dinner parties, which sounds super fun.
She gives a laundry list of the actions her children were prohibited from, which includes:
  • attend a sleepover
  • have a playdate
  • be in a school play
  • watch TV or play computer games
  • choose their own extracurricular activities
  • get any grade less than an A
  • ...

I can't help but think that my mother had a very similar list, which also included
  • kiss members of the same sex

I don't think that it's any coincidence that there are legions of formerly painfully closeted Asian bloggers out there, and that it took me until I was almost 30 before I had the self-confidence and courage to come out to myself and others. I'm not blaming my parents for my own agency, but this article strikes a little close to home for me.

1 comment:

  1. I read the article and was horrified. My mom was definitely a Chinese mom with high expectations, but she did let me pee if I needed to during violin practice.

    ~A

    ReplyDelete