Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Great Story

I know I've let this blog lay pretty dead for a while. Got a new job, everything's going great, nothing much to write about. Things have been going great with Chris and my family. I have been pretty content just letting this blog lay dormant, and its kind of nice to have as a historical record of my coming out process. I look back at some of the stuff I wrote and I shake my head at how nervous and neurotic and irrational I seem sometimes, but I really like having it there, because it reminds me how much I've been able to accomplish.

If any of you follow the WTF podcast with Marc Maron, it's a great glimpse into the personal lives of standup comics. Though it's always comics, its not really a comedy show- it usually gets very personal and it gives you a glimpse into the lives of comics when they're not "on". This week Marc Maron featured Todd Glass, a former contestant on comedy reality show Last Comic Standing, a regular featured guest on "Tosh.0", and a staple of the touring comedy circuit; I was already familiar with his work and a pretty big fan. I was really excited to hear him on the show this week, and in the show, he came out professionally!

While coming out stories are a dime-a-dozen these days (which is a good thing), I think Todd's story is really intriguing, because he is 47, and struggled with almost the exact same issues I did. He really does a great job here of just speaking his mind completely honestly and unpacking his entire thought process, and it is eerie how specifically similar my process was to his. He is incredibly honest in going through all of his feelings and tracing the roots of his internalized homophobia, and I really was incredibly moved by his ability to share the details of his personal journey with the world.

Anyway, congratulations to Todd Glass and I wish him all the best!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you are doing well. By the way, I think I saw you at Cowlicks in Chelsea where we were both getting haircuts.

    ~A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was me! Say hi next time! Who cuts your hair?

    ReplyDelete